Ladies, I would love some insights from you.
I'm doing a study on newlyweds (couples in the first few years of marriage--5 or less) and trying to figure out what are some of the biggest issues and struggles that Christian newlyweds face--especially issues that aren't really being addressed in churches/Christian circles. Not many of my friends are married yet so even though I am a newlywed myself, I don't feel like I have a really good feel for us as a group, ya know? What thoughts or ideas do y'all have? (And insights from those of you who've been married more than five years are much appreciated, too!!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Hey Faith:
Thanks for your peep into the blog. I haven't posted in awhile because so much is going on I can barely breathe. I'm taking one small day at a time.
My Daddy had to move in with my brother in Richmond. His health and mental status decline everyday. I couldn't take care of him anymore. He's too heavy for me to lift, bathe, etc.
I haven't posted that I have been diagnosed with cancer because I haven't told anyone in my church and I know the girls in my SS read the blog. I'm keeping it quiet because the church is going through such a horrible ordeal. No oneneeds the added burden of hearing about me.
My chemo started a couple of weeks ago. It makes me tired, and nauseous and my face and stomach feel like their on fire, but I won't loose my hair!!
I've been battling some sort of infection and of course my diabetes doesn't like the intrusion of another illness so it's been acting up.
I just found out my very best friend has been having a thirty-two year affair with a guy and I was clueless! Talk about shocked and feelings of betrayal. WOW!
My husband and I are trying to live amicably in the same house though we are estranged--weird but won't last much longer. He's moving out in May.
The book? Stalled. Creative juices fly the coop under too much stress.
Keep praying as I know you do and ask that I will feel his presence. I'm stumbling along in a daze right now. Thanks--Love you A
hey...i can't really help out on this one...but i hope you did send it to some of our more recently married friends from school...i'm sure they would have some great insights. :) you are smart, so you probably already did that...just wanted to throw it out there anyhow...particularly vic and bek. :)
Okay well, I am going on year 13. But issues we faced the first five years were: Communication, finances, adjusting to the other person, selfishness. Basically I believe it is so important to be prepared to deal with all this stuff before you get married. Hope that helps some.
Much love,
Angela
Okay, we'll be married 25 (gasp) years in 2008. It just does not seem possible!
But I can tell you our main issue is was communication. Next came finances. Not really knowing what to expect was a big thing, too. Getting married, moving right into a house, The Man being laid off. Having to sell our house less than a year after purchasing it...well, you get the idea.
I think a struggle that alot of couples face in the beginning is when they let their facade down. When you're courting each other nothing seems to bother you. You just have warm fuzzies ALL the time. Then reality and time sets in and he, or she, will do something that grinds that last nerve and it's all over. Does that make sense?
One time a friend of mine told her, the fiance, she liked a certain sweater he had on. So he wore it, naturally. A while after they were married he continued wearing it. One day she was aggravated and told him how she really felt about the sweater. It hurt him, but he asked why she had said she liked it before. She told him because she didn't want to hurt his feelings or ruin anything.
I know it sounds silly but we've seen it happen a ton. My hubs and I counsel couples in our church every so often and it amazes us how petty things will end up a ginormous mess.
All that to say...BE HONEST!!!!!
:)
Merry Christmas!!! love ya!
Merry Christmas!!!!
Checking for you, are you okay? I am missing your posts...Have a Happy New Year, Princess!
Just wanted to say Happy New Year Faith!
Much love,
ANgela
you will have to email me on this one because I dont want to put it in blog land!
williams4676@bellsouth.net
Hey Girl. Just checkin' on ya. Hope you are well and happy and coming back soon! Miss you!
Hugs...Susan
Faith,
I was so blessed to get your comments on my blog that you came to via Angela's. I'm new to all this, so I was truly amazed. How cool!
The biggest difficulty that my husband and I faced was conflict resolution. We have been married alost 18 years, but we had the funniest conversation the other night about our first year of marriage. He thought it was just blissful and I thought we were on the verge of divorce! His parents founght constantly and somewhat hostily while I never saw mine fight. Consequently, he saw our few blow-ups as very minor while I truly thought that they were the end of the world.
We've come to some middle ground. He's the "we have to fix this right now" guy while I'm a "retreat and pout kind of girl". Now he tries to give me a little space and I force myself to sit and resolve it. Life is very happy as a whole, but it took a while!
Amy
Post a Comment