Tuesday, January 8, 2008

My Health

A few of you have asked about my health. Sometimes I forget to talk about that ... though if I have another MS episode, you will definitely hear about it! My health has been pretty good. I haven't had any new symptoms since the second attack in April that led to my diagnosis of MS. I have two chronic symptoms, but they're very mild. Well, and my energy levels are often not as high as I'd like them to be, but that could be a million things; don't think I've narrowed down the cause to MS although fatigue can be one of its most debilitating symptoms.

The injections continue to be a pain, literally. ;) I looked back through my injection journal (I have to keep track of where I inject to make sure to rotate the sites and I also record the pain each time on a scale of 1 to 10, make notes about different things I tried, etc.) I tend to skip injections now and then, and each time I think, "Next month I'll do better!" Well my review of 2007 made me realize I've trended the opposite direction! My first month on the injections, I skipped 7. The second month, I skipped 8, the third month, 10, then 11, and in December I skipped 13! Oops!

So far in January I'm doing well though: Only missed 1 out of 7! Hopefully that trend will continue!

And on January 31, I have my first appointment with my new MS specialist. The neurologist I saw here in April left a lot to be desired in terms of communication and patient care. There are no MS specialists in my city. So in June I flew 2000 miles to see the MS specialist I saw 6 years ago when I had my previous neurological episode (MS had been suspected ever since). That doctor is great, but since 2000 miles is a little far to go every six months, he recommended an MS specialist for me that's only 70 miles away. So that's the doc I'll see at the end of this month. Praying it goes well; since 2001 I've seen five different neurologists and only liked one of them! But since the one I liked is an MS specialist and the new one also specializes in MS, I am hopeful. ;) How was that for my rambling post of the day?

If you haven't read it yet, the post below is better; I promise!

7 comments:

Tony Parsley said...

Praying you will have a better year! I was wondering about your health too when I read the last update! You are such an encouragement.
Much love my friend,
Angela

God's girl said...

hey sorry that comment above is from me not my hubbie! :)
He stole my machine and must have logged in his gmail account. Sorry!
Ang

jennyhope said...

you are so precious! I hate that you have to do all of that. I am so proud of you though and how you keep going.
I dont know what is wrong with me but I am so tired it isnt even funny. no matter how much sleep i get i am tired. it may be having a 2 year old i am not sure. i still need to respond to the newly married email I just havent figured out the words. much love!!

Little Steps Of Faith said...

How different is what you have from MD? My teacher found out she has MD.

Glad you are staying positive:)

And thanks for coming to visit me...I had no time to write for a long while...but I am back:)

:)Be Blessed
ang

Anonymous said...

Left something on my blog for you!
You are a great encouragement to me,and keeping you in thought and prayer.

Kate said...

Hope this doctor is better than the last. I sympathize and would fly 2000 miles to find competent care myself.

Kate

Tam said...

Hey precious! I love your attitude in this. I know from experience that sometimes it is tough and gets to you. But you are strong and you know the One who is strong when you have nothing left. So you're definitely covered.

I have had such a hard time finding a good Rheumatologist. I don't know what it is but they've been so impersonable and distant. So I'd say 70 miles twice a year would be worth it if you like your doctor. Hoping you do. The connection is so important!

Hope you had a great weekend!

Love you!
tam