Sunday, August 19, 2007

Savoring

"Life is what happens while you're planning for the future."

This was a line from our pastor's sermon this morning that really struck me.
He preached about Jacob today, and about faith.
He talked about how often we spend life "in a hurry." We are either in a hurry for the future to arrive, looking forward to the next stage in life because we think it will be better than the present. Or, in the hard times, we are in a hurry to get through the hard time so it will be behind us.

But, as our pastor reminded us today, God wants to meet us where we are, not just at our destination. We need to slow down, to be fully present in whatever's going on in life rather than just hurrying through. He encouraged us to savor the moment.

Now, I truly am a savorer.
A "stop and smell the roses" kind of person.
I love to linger over a luscious cup of coffee or chai. I use the smallest spoon in the house when I eat ice cream, to make it last. If we hike by a beautiful waterfall, I don't want to just hurry past; I want to stop, to sit and look and soak in the beauty.

But I have to admit, I'd never thought much about "savoring" the times that are a less pleasant than dark chocolate or a beautiful sunset.

I have been in a bit of a tug-of-war with time, cajoling it: "Slow down so I can enjoy my friend's visit." "Hurry up to the point when my injections don't cause as much pain." Or, when I look at a baby, "Move faster, Time; I want to be done with grad school and internship and I want to cradle our child in my arms."

I've been holding a lot of my current circumstances at arm's length, asking God to help me get through them, rather than looking for how He wants to meet me IN these circumstances, enjoying the purposes and provision He has for me right here and now. And trusting that the same peace and provision will be mine in the future, no matter how this disease may affect my life, my health, my physical and cognitive abilities.

I like that idea.
It's one that I am going to park on for a little while, to steep in, pondering what that looks like.
Savoring the moment.
Delighting in God right here, in the middle of a valley.

9 comments:

Kate said...

You are a beautiful writer. So much thought goes into your words. I love that you eat ice cream with a small spoon. I might have to try that. And as one who has spent the last year in trials, I can tell you for certain that there is good when you stop and look and savor what you are learning.

Kate

Tam said...

Faith, Your heart shines through your written words! I love your perspective and openness to His word and truth, even in the seemingly "worst" circumstances.

Thanks for this post, from someone who goes and goes and rarely slows down to savor anything, I needed it!

This is my challenge today - savor...

Blessings! Hope you're well today!

ocean mommy said...

Faith,

Savor. What a great post. I've been in the valley for a little while too. God has been showing off the whole time. He has been so faithful and I wouldn't trade this time of seeing a new side of HIM for anything. Hang in there!

Praying for you,
stephanie

Darla said...

savor...mmmmmmmmmmm...I am going to like/love savoring! I love to hike and sit by waterfalls, and sometimes climb them too..it took me a week longer to go through vermont and new hampshire than i planned..it wasn't my fault..there were a lot of waterfalls! :)

Kate said...

Faith,
I have an award to pass on to you at my blog.

Kate

Little Steps Of Faith said...

love it, love it, love it...and LOVE that you are so blessed while at church. Isn't it amazing what we learn when we go with an expectant heart:) Thanks for praying for my mom girl, I really appreciate it. She has her days, but she is so strong.

and here is your nickname from me:)

Faith o' Flava:)

be blessed:)

Angelina Bumbellina

jennyhope said...

so good. one thing i have really been doing with morgan is enjoying each day instead of wishing them away. it has really been such a joy in the midst of loneliness and great hardship at times. I am so thankful for this moment in time.

Anonymous said...

meander, my friend. it helps in savoring. :) and if you need someone to grab a hold of your arm and slow you down...maybe we can ask God to grow my arms to be really really long...or maybe i'll end up back in that part of the country. but you are good at enjoying life...that's something i love about you. :) i like that you will meander with me and will sit on every swing just to see which one we like best. :)

God's girl said...

I love this post. I sure needed to hear it. I am at a weird place at this moment in my life and I do need to savor it. Even if the waterfalls are coming from my tears! Thanks for helping me remember that. You encourage me so much! Praying for you!
Be blessed.
Angela